Tuesday, January 31, 2006

What I ate on my winter vacation...

Spent two point five weeks with my family in Peru during the holidays, and managed to take over 150 pictures of almost everything we ate. Some food highlights from the motherland:


Cuy (guinea pig). You can see its little open mouth resting on top of the rice. My dad ordered this while we were in Cusco and reported that it wasn't too tasty. Apparently it didn't settle well either...this guinea pig got his revenge soon after he was consumed.



Anticuchos (skewered cow heart). This is one of my faves. The meat is soft and dense, and full of smokey flavors.



A classic--lomo saltado. Stir fried beef, onions, tomatoes and potatoes with hints of vinegar and soy sauce.



Picarones. Krispy Kreme has got nothing on these bad boys. Chewy sweet potato and pumpkin dough, deep fried and served with a sweet prune syrup.



Cancha - the Peruvian equivalent of kettle corn. On steroids.



Churros, but not just any kind. Custard-filled churros. Your choice of custard, or manjar blanco (dulce de leche) filling. These churros visit me in my American dreams regularly, and it's the only thing I can think about during those 9 hour flights back to Peru.



Ceviche, Peruvian style. It's prepared with corn and served with sweet potatoes.



Lechon - roasted pig. Incredibly tender and flavorful.



Bistec apanado. A cut of beef pounded with bread crumbs into a really thin, soft, steak, and then pan fried and served over rice.


The rest of the pictures can be found on my Flickr account. As you can see, we ate A LOT of food. 152 pictures worth of food, to be exact. Due to all the goodness we consumed, the interesting food posts will be sparse for a while, as I have been feasting on a diet of salads and whole wheat turkey wraps in attempts to fit back into my skinny jeans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home